Italy Vacations – Why Is Lake Como is the Best Choice?
Lake Como is a top choice for many travelers planning Italy vacations. As the 3rd largest of all the lakes in Italy, and the deepest in Europe at 400 meters or 1,312 feet, it has been a prime destination for some of the wealthiest Italians and other prominent figures for centuries.
While visiting the many picturesque villages, castles and towers in this Italian lake, you sometimes get the feeling that you are in Tuscany with lush gardens of flowering azaleas and other times like you are somewhere on the Mediterranean coast with sparkling waters and lakeside breezes.
Imagine your perfect Italy vacation…view crystal blue waters from the outdoor terrace of your villa, indulge in the sweet scent of may-lilies and roses while eating your delicious lunch lightly drizzled with the best home-made olive oil.
Sounds good?…Take this survey for more information!
Now let’s take a closer look as to why this Italian lake is such a great place to visit for your vacation…
Spectacular Scenery For Any Italian Vacation
People who come back home from their Italy vacations, usually talk in “oooohs” and “aaaahs” about the spectacular scenery they witnessed.
Lake Como is blessed with a variety of beautiful landscapes, being surrounded by tall, wooded mountains, natural springs, harsh and impressive rocks, charming villages and magnificent mansions with gardens.
There are breathtaking viewpoints scattered all throughout the lake and mountains and you don’t have to be wealthy or a duke of the British Royal Family to enjoy them. When you get a chance, do also take a look at the 50 reasons we think Lake Como is the hottest lake of all the lakes found in Italy.
I’ll never forget my first train ride into Italy from Switzerland. It seemed like the weather got sunnier and sunnier as the train approached Italy.
Now don’t get me wrong…the Como lake does get quite a bit of rain and even some snow in the winter, but the climate is still very mild and considered subtropical.
The best times to visit are between March and November when temperatures are warm and the sun shines the most. Click here to read more about the weather.
No Italy travel holiday is complete without a look at some of the marvelous, historic churches. They are almost always open to the public during the day, and their ornate interiors are filled with amazing frescoes, paintings and sculptures which can truly be marveled at.
This Italian lake has an abundance of medieval churches with their characteristic bell-towers. We noticed many of them while driving along the shores of the lake.
For the architects out there, you will see many signs of ‘Lombard Romanesque construction’ which was a specific, yet common way to build in the region during the medieval period.
Who doesn’t dream of owning or renting an Italian villa? If you can’t afford one yet, no worries! This magical lake has so many splendid villas with lavish gardens that you don’t need to own one in order to feel their grandeur. After a visit here, you will see why vacations are so sacred for Europeans!
By renting a boat, we caught glimpses of beautiful, half-hidden villas hovering over the lake, particularly in the lower parts of the lake – starting from Menaggio and going south.
But no matter what part of Lake Como you will actually end up in, your Italy vacations will be filled with fun, adventure and peace.
If the idea of Italy vacations are running around in your head right now take this friendly questionnaire about the region. You will also find out what kind of a traveler you really are!
Just why is Lake Como such an excellent choice for Italy vacations?
The answer is simple enough!
One can ski, windsurf, do some serious boating, visit magnificent Lake Como villas and gardens, walk at your leisure, do some sunbathing and much, much more.
One tip for an economical Italy holiday would be to forgo the resorts completely. Rent an apartment or go camping in the Northern section of Lake Como for a few days if you want a real adventure. Lake Como apartments are especially economical since the existence of a kitchen that may help you make some of your meals reasonably than having to rely on dining out for each meal.
Another style of saving money without compromising on quality is to choose an off-season vacation. Try not to visit Lake Como during the peak season or summertime months of June to August. The finest offseason month to visit Italy is September. Don’t worry; the sights of the Italian summer will still be bountiful in September. One of the plus points of going on Italy vacations in the offseason is that you could roam around without running into many crowds of visitors. Moreover, the hotel rates per evening get much more affordable during the offseason.
Tips for Getting The Most Out Of Italy Vacations
- Create a list of what you must pack. From every week to several months before going in your trip, compose a list of the things that you really need to bring along.
- Make sure a family member or friend can access your itinerary when you are traveling. Using this method, the one you love knows that you always are. Keep in touch with them constantly to enure safety. This gives you a degree of protection.
- Be wise about food allergies when going to a foreign country to protect yourself from dangerous liaisons. Studying the language, specially the words where you must know to describe your allergy, is an extremely important move to make when you are traveling abroad. This will provide you with the opportunity to alert your waiter or waitress in the foods that you may have an allergy to in order to be kept from the meals.
- Have a break every couple of hours when driving with small kids. Having a break lets you stretch your and utilize a bathroom. If you achieve the kids from the car then and from now on, you can preserve them from getting motion sickness. Your holiday could become a bit longer, although the reduced stress will probably be worth any delay.
- Avoid driving in rush hour traffic when setting on your holiday. This will aid to lessen enough time that it requires to acquire there. This really is a wonderful time to get a bite or provide the kids some exercise.
- Make sure to bring important medicines. When someone is packing to get a trip you can actually forget important stuff like medications. After reaching one last destination, it may seem very difficult to get replacement medication.
- When you are traveling, it is essential that you will find copies for any important documents you could have. Also, make certain that these copies are kept separately from the originals. Leaving another pair of copies in your house with a relative or friend you trust is smart too, in case you lose everything you’re going with.
- Make sure you are informed about the terms of your personal vehicle insurance, before renting an automobile in your vacation. to purchase extra insurance in the event you don’t want it. Vehicle insurance could possibly have basic 3rd party coverage. Speak to your insurance professional in regards to what your policy does and does not cover before leaving.
- Pack along some travel candles in case you are spending an evening within a hotel. It can include a pleasant aroma in your room. Dependant upon the scent of your candle, it can help you to go to sleep faster. These candles are dripless and can be purchased in travel sizes. We’ve never had this happen in Lake Como, but we have had such situation in other places of Italy, such as Rome.
We hope these tips will help you to get the most out of your upcoming Italy vacations. Do feel free to drop us a line below with even more helpful suggestion to help our website visitors.
Return from Why Lake Como? to the homepage