The Top 50 Reasons Lake Como Beats The Other Lakes in Italy
Yes, we know we are extremely passionate about our lake and sometimes we go overboard. But, we just had to show you 50 reasons why we are so excited about living by Lake Como as opposed to some of the other lakes not too far away.
So away we go, in our over-zealous, patriotic, controversial and rather hyped-up stance!
The Famous What-Makes-Lake-Como-So-Famous List
- 1. There’s a panoramic, scenic view from wherever you are in the lake.
- 2. You can always see the other side of the lake.
- 3. We have a fun children’s lido in Mandello Del Lario.
- 4. The lidos are loaded with fun activities.
- 5. The lidos are not overcrowded with people.
- 6. There are still many uncrowded beaches during the height of the season.
- 7. Lake Como has some of the most opulent villas found anywhere in the country.
- 8. Crazy things happened here like the capture of Mussolini.
- 9. It has a special micro-climate with mostly warm temperatures year-round.
- 10. It is home to special institutions like the Rockefeller center and the Lake Como International Piano Academy.
- 11. The fish from the lake is some of Italy’s freshest and best.
- 12. Great writers like Stendhal and musicians like Liszt would have agreed with us.
- 13. It was once the capital of the silk industry of Europe.
- 14. Many celebrities like George Clooney have opulent vacations homes here.
- 15. Who wouldn’t want to have a glorious wedding by the Como lake?
- 16. It has some of the oldest Gothic churches in Italy like the Santa Maria Del Tiglio.
- 17. One of the world’s most exquisite 5-star hotel is locate here – Villa D’este.
- 18. There is a wide range of accommodation from 1/2 star to 5+ stars.
- 19. International windsurfing competitions are hosted here.
- 20. There are opportunities for unforgettable moonlit walks such as the promenade in Varenna.
- 21. You can buy rare gifts and souveniers at incredible prices such as leather shoes and silk scarves.
- 22. Many other adventurous water sports (besides windsurfing) are a blast thanks to the wind conditions, such as sailing.
- 23. Majestic mountains surround the lake which opens up many other activities such as skiing and hiking.
- 24. You can choose from fast ferries or slow ferries depending on your preference and level of patience.
- 25. There are night cruises featuring drinks, delicious dinners and entertainment.
- 26. One town has been called the “pearl of Europe” – Bellagio, Italy.
- 27. Each little town has its own charm, exquisite restaurants and unique POI.
- 28. You can choose between staying in a cosmopolitan town like Como or a completely rustic area like Consiglio di Rumo.
- 29. There are plenty of camping opportunities in the North.
- 30. Cities like Como and Menaggio are home to many outdoor festivals and music concerts in the summertime.
- 31. The botanical gardens such as the ones near Villa Carlotta and Villa Melzi are vast and diverse.
- 32. You can rent charming, lakeside villas for your whole family and pay less than you would in a hotel.
- 33. The display of fireworks in August (Ferraugusto) are bound to be some of the most stunning you will see in your lifetime.
- 34. It is the deepest lake in Europe.
- 35. The wealthiest Italians chose this as their home in the 19th century.
- 36. The traditional fishing boats are truly one of a kind.
- 37. 2 US presidents, 1 queen, 1 pope and several princes have been noted for staying here.
- 38. Awesome cities like Milan, Lugano and Bergamo are just a stone’s throw away.
- 39. Many movies were filmed here including Star Wars and Ocean’s Twelve.
- 40. Lake Como is home to bizarre mysteries such as the origins of the Fiumelatte River.
- 41. The hostels have some of the most unbelievable views you’ll ever find in any hostel.
- 42. Lake Como is home to cooking schools such as the Il Caminetto close to Varenna.
- 43. The lake has an enchanting island which feels like a different area all together.
- 44. You can stay at a castle located only 5 minutes away from the town of Varenna – Castello di Vezio.
- 45. The lake is friendly for kids and features the unique Jungle Raider park in the forests of Civenna.
- 46. You can visit the museum of Alessandro Volta, the inventor of the electric battery.
- 47. You can visit the museum of Moto Guzzi, one of the most famous motorcycle producers of the 20th century.
- 48. Explore the lake by a seaplane which gives you extraordinary glimpses of the lake from every corner.
- 49. Bellano has a canyon which snakes through the mountain and offers an interesting experience.
- 50. The wines which come from the area just north of Lake Como are some of Italy’s most popular.
Return from 50 reasons to the homepage
Originally posted 2015-01-10 23:37:53. Republished by Blog Post Promoter